Whether you are an Executive in Business, Senior Manager, Front Line Manager, Small Business Owner, you will have staff working for you and sometimes are at a loss to know why someone is not performing as you expect them to or know that they can.
These questions will help you to understand your staff better and find out what actually motivates them performance wise, once you know this you can then help them to achieve the goals they want out of working for you. The added benefit is you will really understand and know what makes an individual tick, plus you will know what also motivates them, which is good for both parties.
Start General and get more specific to get them talking openly about their performance.
- What is it you’re trying to achieve?
- What is your goal?
- What is the ultimate intention of achieving that goal?
- How long have you had this goal?
- How important is this goal to you?
- What have you tried previously?
- What was the result of this?
- Tell me about a time when you achieved something that you thought you couldn’t.
- What did you do that made you successful in this?
- Home in on particular incidents.
Target potential areas for improvement.
- Tell me more about…….
- Give me an example of that.
- What happened when……?
- What was the outcome?
- Tell me about times when you have been successful in this area, what was happening?
- What do you see as being the implications of…..?
- Identify what is stopping the coachee from performing better.
Get them to talk about barriers and hence possible solutions.
- What stops you from…..?
- What would need to happen for you to be able to……?
- When you tried that in the past, what was missing?
- What else would you need in order to succeed?
- Pose the Suppose – If x was not an issue, would there be anything else stopping you?
- Work out and agree what the appropriate intervention will be based on the diagnosis result.
Gain commitment to coaching if this is the appropriate intervention. Get the coachee to carry out an action before the first coaching session to test this commitment.
- I am prepared to make this commitment to you, are you prepared to make that same commitment to achieving your goal through coaching?
- I will get you to agree some action plans, are you happy to carry these out?
So all Executives, Managers, Business Owners, if you use the above process and questions you will have staff that want to work for you and also buy into your own goals and objectives at the same time. It is a win win situation for both parties.